This was a fun little project for my son! The lucky lad got his first radio controlled plane for Christmas – it’s awesome but we needed somewhere safe to hang it while he’s not using it. So I made a little wall hanging bracket for it.
Watch the video here:
The bracket is made out of 18mm plywood and finished in a hard wearing bathroom emulsion paint. Bathroom or kitchen emulsion is a great choice of finish for anything that needs to be hard wearing & washable. It gives a pleasant soft-sheen finish and is ideal for a wide range of projects.
I started off by measuring a suitable distance between both wings to, in this case 10″ (don’t ask why I measured in inches). I also measured the distance to the front and back of the wing from the wall. I transferred these measurements to the off-cuts of plywood I used and drew and approximate shape of the wing. After roughly cutting out this shape using a jigsaw and coping saw I fitted the bracket to the wall and did a ‘test hanging’ of the plane. I was expecting to have to tweak the shape but as it happened I hit lucky and the plane fit perfectly on the first try.
Then it was just a case of sanding a filing the edges smooth and carefully applying a 1/4″ roundover using the router table. The edge supports are held on to the wall mount using 4 x TurboGold woodscrews (4.5mm x 45mm) – I used a lazy-piloting technique to avoid any splits in the wood. You’ll see this in the video where I screwed the screw half way in, withdrew it and then re-screwed it all the way in. TurboGold screws are self drilling but these are quite big screws so I didn’t want to take any chances.
Finally the bracket was given a coat of Leyland Acrylic Primer Undercoat before being fitted to the wall. Once on the wall I gave it 2 coats of the Dulux Bathroom+ paint. Once this was dry I used draught excluder tape to act as padding for the wings of the aircraft. This worked really well but for larger heavier planes I’d suggest having a wider surface area on the bracket for the plane to sit on. Obviously this is all dependent on the plane being suitable for hanging from the wing. A fun little project – hopefully well get this in the air soon!